Does dieting cause weight gain? Are there “truths” we’ve learned about food and diet that may not be “true” after all? This interview with my friends Erin Todd and Char-Lee Cassel–hosts of the Intuitive Eating for Christian Women Podcast will open your eyes to a new way of thinking about food in light of scripture and the Gospel!
Today we work our way through my questions and the big take aways from the interviews I’ve done with non-diet dietitians through the Fall. Char Lee is a registered dietician and exercise physiologist. Erin is an attorney by day and a food freedom fighter by night. Both of these women are passionate about helping others find freedom from diet culture, food obsession, and eating disorders. You’ll want to take notes on what we talk about today. It’s that good!
Today we discuss:
- How dieting leads to weight gain.
- Correlation versus causation–why body size may not be responsible for health problems.
- What HAES stands for and how all the science means nothing without the Gospel.
- How using food to come with trauma may be something to be thankful for.
- What Body Image idolatry means and how it keeps us stuck in diet culture.
Connect with Erin here and Char-Lee here and listen to their podcast and find their phenomenal resources (including that guide they have to get started!) here! https://intuitiveeatingforchristianwomen.com
Here are the other episodes referenced in today’s show:
- Part 1 of this interview: All Roads Lead to Intuitive Eating: What We Learned About Dieting
- Interview with Dr. Stefani Reinold on candy: How Do I Handle All the Holiday Candy? Feat Dr. Stefani Reinold
- Interview with Megan Hadley on over-eating late in the day: Why Do I Over Eat In the Evening? Featuring Megan Hadley RDN, LDN
- Interview with Tracy Brown on trauma and eating disorders: Body Image, Trauma, & Healing ED: Featuring Dietician Tracy Brown
- Interview with Brittany Braswell on behaviors that eating disorders help us cope with:7 Reasons We Keep Eating Disorder Behaviors w/Brittany Braswell
Books referenced in this episode (Amazon affiliate links):
- Compared to Who? by Heather Creekmore: https://amzn.to/3IWbhfj
- The Burden of Better by Heather Creekmore: https://amzn.to/3q4TD0h
- Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon: https://amzn.to/3q9X7yW
- Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Trible, MS, RDN and Elyse Reach, MS, RDN: https://amzn.to/3F5xIwv
Are you on Heather’s Compared to Who? email list? Get encouragement in your inbox, freebies, and special discounts on coaching, courses, and books. Heather sends this list things no one else sees– so join today! https://www.comparedtowho.me
Have you read the Burden of Better yet? It’s a great gift for the woman who has everything and still wonders if it’s enough! Or, it’s a great read as you start the new year! Start reading the first two chapters here. https://comparedtowho.me/burden-of-better-book-for-christian-women-on-comparison/
Used with permission by Heather Creekmore of Compared to Who? Learn more about the ministry of Compared to Who? at https://www.comparedtowho.me.