Gossiping is one of the commonest sins Christians around the world are battling. God hates this sinful act and so has declared to punish liars and slanderers. Find out how these Bible verses about gossip can help you.
The Lord detests troublesome behaviors such as lies, gossip or slander. To the human eye, one might think these are mild, normal and so unrecognized by others and the Lord. By reading Bible verses about gossip you would realize that it’s a great sin that has a lot of consequences —even unto eternal damnation.
Today, I have some helpful Bible verses about gossip and other verses about slander plus lies —in addition to warning against offenders (gossipers, liars and slanders). This is the time for a change. Lies for instance, can send you to eternal punishment as warned by the Bible in Revelation 21:8.
A lot of Christians are still in wonderment if gossip is a sin. Well, if you are confused about this kind of lifestyle and how it affects your relationship with God, —then it is time you reconsider your thoughts before it is too late. A gossip is a sinful act just like gluttony.
Even if one could be stubborn enough to overlook God’s moral laws against living a deceitful life, he is likely to be caught by the laws of the land (eg. Being charged with libel and slander). These misconducts are punishable by law; Even our societies abhor them.
Bible Verses About Gossip
Here are some Bible verses that forewarn Christians to stay away from slandering their friends. Remember, it’s also a sinful act the scriptures condemn. There is nowhere in the Bible that tolerates slanderers, liars or gossipers. Here I will categorize them in the same basket.
These sinful acts look subtle by the human standard of measurement but are very fatal to the human soul.
1. “A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends.” —Proverbs 16:28
2. “The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart; whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others.” —(Psalm 15:2-3)
3. “Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spreads slander is a fool.” (Proverbs 10:18)
4. “A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.” —Proverbs 11:13)
5. “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” —(Ephesians 4:29)
6. “With their mouths the godless destroy their neighbors, but through knowledge the righteous escape. —(Proverbs 11:9)
7. “You will be protected from malicious gossip, and will not be afraid of the destruction when it comes.” (Job 5:21)
8. “The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down into the person’s innermost being.” (Proverbs 18:8)
9. “The one who goes about gossiping reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with someone who is always opening his mouth.” (Proverbs 20:19)
10. “They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents.” (Romans 9:29 – 30)
11. “And besides that, going around from house to house they learn to be lazy, and they are not only lazy, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things they should not.” (1 Timothy 5:13)
Bible Verses About Slander
12. “You must not go about as a slanderer among your people. You must not stand idly by when your neighbor’s life is at stake. I am the LORD.” (Leviticus 19:16)
13. “Whoever lives a blameless life, does what is right, and speaks honestly. He does not slander, or do harm to others, or insult his neighbor.” (Psalms 15:2 – 3)
14. “You plot against your brother; you slander your own brother. When you did these things, I was silent, so you thought I was exactly like you. But now I will condemn you and state my case against you!” (Psalms 50:20 – 21)
15. “Their slander will bring about their demise. All who see them will shudder, and all people will fear. They will proclaim what God has done, and reflect on his deeds. The godly will rejoice in the LORD and take shelter in him. All the morally upright will boast.” (Psalms 64:8 10)
16. “I will destroy anyone who slanders his neighbor in secret. I will not tolerate anyone who has a cocky demeanor and an arrogant attitude.” (Psalms 101:5)
17. “May the arrogant be humiliated, for they have slandered me! But I meditate on your precepts.” (Psalms 119:78)
18. “A slanderer will not endure on the earth; calamity will hunt down a violent man and strike him down.” (Psalms 140:11)
19. “The one who conceals hatred utters lies, and the one who spreads slander is certainly a fool.” (Proverbs 10:18)
20. “The one who goes about slandering others reveals secrets, but the one who is trustworthy conceals a matter.” (Psalms 11:13)
21. “A wicked scoundrel digs up evil, and his slander is like a scorching fire.” (Proverbs 16:27)
22. “Do not slander a servant to his master, lest he curse you, and you are found guilty.” (Proverbs 30:10)
23. “For out of the heart come evil ideas, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.” (Matthew 15:19)
24. “You must put away every kind of bitterness, anger, wrath, quarreling, and evil, slanderous talk” (Ephesians 4:31)
25. “But now, put off all such things as anger, rage, malice, slander, abusive language from your mouth.” (Colossians 3:8)
26. “Yet do it with courtesy and respect, keeping a good conscience, so that those who slander your good conduct in Christ may be put to shame when they accuse you. ” (1 Peter 3:16)
27. “You destroy liars; the LORD despises violent and deceitful people.” (Psalms 5:6)
28. “Deceitful people will not live in my palace. Liars will not be welcome in my presence.” (Psalms 101:7)
29. “How blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD and does not seek help from the proud or from liars!” (Psalms 40:41)
30. “If anyone says “I love God” and yet hates his fellow Christian, he is a liar, because the one who does not love his fellow Christian whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.” (1 John 4:20)
May these Scriptures about gossip, lies, and slander remind you of God’s law against such common sinful acts. It’s time to turn away from them and strive to live a righteous life.
Anthony Eshun is a Christian blogger from Ghana, saved by grace. Loves the Bible, life coaching, and evangelism. With over 5 years of experience in blogging, he has reached out to thousands of people around the world.
Republished with permission from Lovelytony22 from his blog https://africanparadiseworld.com.