Formed in God’s story (free course)
How well could you explain the big arc of the Bible’s narrative? Could you piece together the Old Testament story from its creative beginning in Genesis to the postexilic Persian pressure of Esther’s time?
I’m preparing a sweeping 6-week overview of the Torah and historical books, and you’re invited. If you’re in Perth Western Australia, let’s get together. If not, you can still download the notes each week to catch the wind of what God is doing.
Formed in God’s Story: Genesis to Esther covers the 17 foundational books that provide context for the Psalms and Prophets. This is the backstory for Jesus’ mission (Matthew – John), our mission (Acts – Jude), and the restoration of all things (Revelation).
This is God’s story, but we’re not merely binge watching it. We’re living in it. We’re being formed in God’s story.
Please register if you’ll be attending in person. (It helps with planning.)
- When: 7–9 pm Wednesdays, 26 April – 31 May 2023
- Where: Riverview Church, Burswood
- Cost: no charge
This is series 1 of Formed in God’s story, episodes 1–12:
Week 1: Why Israel? (Genesis)
• God reigns over all (Genesis 1–11)
• God chooses a people to represent him (Genesis 12–40)
Week 2: God’s nation established (Exodus)
• God saves from oppression (Exodus 1–18)
• God saves into his sovereignty (Exodus 19–40)
Week 3: When God was king (Leviticus – Joshua)
• Devoted to the Lord (Leviticus – Numbers)
• A Holy Land (Joshua, Deuteronomy)
Week 4: A king anointed (Judges – 2 Samuel)
• Struggling without a king (Judges – 1 Samuel 12)
• Struggling with a king (1 Samuel 13 – 2 Samuel)
Week 5: Disintegrating kingdom (Kings – Chronicles)
• The kings could not save (1 Kings – 2 Kings 16)
• The kingdoms of Israel and Judah fall (2 Kings 17–25)
Week 6: Unresolved exile (Ezra – Esther)
• Rebuilding after exile (Ezra/Nehemiah)
• Living under foreign rule (Esther, Daniel)
Seeking to understand Jesus in the terms he chose to describe himself: son of man (his identity), and kingdom of God (his mission). Riverview Church, Perth, Western Australia
View all posts by Allen Browne