We hit a new low in our home this week. On Monday, it took me to a place this I never wanted to go.
God Gives Rest
But I’m not writing for sympathy. I’m writing to tell you that the God is good. He gives peace. He gives rest. I testify.
I had not been in a court room since jury duty 14 years ago. For love’s sake, Monday I went.
But first, the deer. I was dressing for court when I glanced out the bedroom window and saw her.
The little deer wandered through, perused the blooms, then nestled right in. She lay down. The fawn found rest in those bright white daisies.
As she did, I stole over and snapped these. I heard a few short snorts. Mama was near.
Five minutes later, I was was on the way to the courthouse. That story is still unfolding. This chapter is more soul-stretching than any God’s granted me yet. I won’t sugarcoat.
But I will say, God gives rest. He is the Prince of Peace. His anxiety cure is tried and true. I lie down and sleep in peace. He provided this quiet fawn moments before my hard hour on a harder bench. I don’t think I’m in denial.
I just want you to know God’s Word is true.
5 Favorite Rest Verses
Which verse can you take for your own? Or is there another you go to? Would you drop it in the comments?
1. My soul finds rest in God alone my salvation comes from him. Psalm 62:1
2. Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden and, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
3. In peace I will die down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell and safety. Psalm 4:8
4. You will keep in perfect peace whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
5. The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters. Psalm 23:23:1-2
Will you lean into these?
Lean In, Lie Down, And Sleep
I know this water might get faster, deeper, stormier. I might sink lower. After Monday, I’d be naive to think we’re clear sailing.
But as I said in Monday’s SOS texts, “those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.” They don’t. They lie down and sleep in peace. They rest. We rest. We lie down in green pastures and fields of daisies.
The fawn knew her deer mother was watching, close. We know our good Father is watching, his Spirit with us.
My soul finds rest in God alone. No good thing does he withhold.
So child, will you rest? With me?