Caregiver Recipe Exchange!
I love food and I love to cook. But like any other caregiver, I often have no time to make something healthy and delicious, so that’s when I turn to my “Under 30 second preparation time recipes.”
Now, some of these recipes require slightly more than 30 seconds to make, but they are all quick, easy and include only ingredients you might have in the cupboard or fridge. I would love to hear your recipes and so, let’s share! Pop your favorites into the comments section and I’ll post any that are shared on The Caregivers’ Living Room facebook page. 😃
I’ll start. Here’s a great recipe for Greek Sheet Pan Chicken. Serve with a microwave-able packet of rice and voila – delicious AND healthy dinner!
This Greek sheet pan chicken is an easy, all-in-one dinner recipe with juicy chicken thighs nestled around vibrant, caramelized vegetables. With 450 five-star reviews, you can’t go wrong!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (or, if you don’t have a zucchini, use a tin of artichoke hearts, drained – my suggestion)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced into wedges
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, thyme, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken thighs in a bowl and pour ⅔ of the marinade on top, then use your hands to toss the chicken in the marinade and make sure it’s well coated. Marinate the chicken for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, spread the zucchini, bell pepper, red onion, and tomatoes onto the baking sheet and drizzle the remaining marinade on top. Toss together to coat the vegetables.
- Add the chicken thighs the baking sheet, nestling them around the veggies, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the olives and feta and then place it back in the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and the chicken is cooked through to 165°F.
- Sprinkle the chicken and vegetables with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
- Here are two old faves of mine: instant brownies and apple torte – you can mix them up with a fork or spoon!
1/2 cup of margarine or butter melted in the microwave
2 heaping dessert spoons of cocoa powder
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup flour
chopped nuts if desired
Mix before and after adding flour. Pour into greased 8″ pan and bake at 350 just until slightly firm and pulling away from edges of pan (don’t overbake or they won’t be chewy).
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 good size apples peeled, cored and chopped (any kind of apples work)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
large pinch salt
Raisins or nuts if you want
Mix the eggs and sugar with a fork and then add all the other ingredients, mixing again. Pour into a pie plate or 8-9″ greased pan. Bake at 350 until just golden brown on top. Great served with vanilla ice cream.
What are your go-to caregiver favourite recipes? Share away!